Fairfield Historical Society

Items gleaned from old newspapers


The following are notes from the 1926 Annual Report of the Town of Fairfield
a. The Report was printed by the Galahad Press of Fairfield
b. The amount of $1000.00 was paid on the Opera House Note
c. Coupon Bonds in the amount of $2000.00 were noted
d. Boys Band received the amount of $200.00
e. Ten Lots Note $1000.00 (?)
f. South Grammar Note $500.00
g. There were 430 Horses & Mules, 1 colt, 823 cows, 2 Oxen, 31 Three year olds,
73 Two year olds and 190 Poultry (over 50 in number) recorded and taxed h. Exempt from tax were 114 one year olds, 180 sheep (to 35 in number), 74 Swine
(to 10 in number), 4500 Poultry (to 50 In number) i. 448 Cars were taxed as personal property along with 2 carriages, 373 musical instruments Logs, Pulp Wood, Lumber, Finished products at Mills, with other normal property
j. Appropriated $1000.00 for Main Street Primary School for Fire Escape
k. Selectmen were paid $400.00 salary and $800.00 for Chair (?)
l. Sheep owners were compensated for those killed by dogs a total of $92.00
m. Milk Inspector was paid $50.00
n. The Opera House had a new boiler installed at a cost of $937.82
o. Rental of the lockup at the Opera House netted $120.00
p. Rent of Express Office netted $64.00
q. Sale of the Old Boiler $9.25
r. $1000.00 was paid on the Opera House Note with a balance of $8,500.00
s. Rental of the Island House (?) $144.00
t. Wilson Pharmacy was operating at this time
u. Dr. F. L. Tozier was practicing in town
v. 2 Soldiers were buried at State Expense Albert Taylor, & John Walker
w. Hinckley Farmers Union, Fairfield Grain Co., Neal & Mitchell, D. B. Donnelly, H. L. Holt & Co., F. A. Moore, A. J. Ladd, Fairfield Publishing & Printing, were some of the businesses in town at this time.
x. Mrs. Fred Lord was paid $3.00 for town watering trough (?)
y. Tramps listed as being boarded at the town farm cost the town $3.00
z. There was an overdraft at the Town Farm this year which was caused by the arrest of the father and husband for making and selling liquor
aa. George York erected booths for $5.03.
bb. Received from pool room licenses $50.00, Pine Tree Amusement Co license $12.00, Fairfield Center Town Hall, $100.00
cc. Rebuilding of Lawrence High School - contract price $103,446.00
dd. Rentals of the Opera House include such things as, W. M. of A, Masonic Club, Mooney Club,
ee. Tuitions from the Town of Benton collected were 2,221.33
ff. Emery Hill Cemetery had a Trust Fund set up.
gg. Dr. Ethel Walters, Abbie, J. Ladd, & Donald Ellis were School Officials
hh. Attendance Officers were H. A. Gray, W. H. Jewell, Herbert Murray, Edward Hicks, Ralph York, F. O. Savage, F. C. Gibson, Thomas Eagre, and William Sturtevant.
ii. Edward a. Simoneau was Superintendent was serving his first term as Superintendent of the Fairfield-Benton Union
jj. Fairfield had 33 teaching positions, and Benton 8
kk. The following Schools were operating at this time; North Grammar, South Grammar, Main Street, North Primary, Center, and Shawmut.
ll. A Sprinkler system was installed in the re-built High School
mm. The Main Street School needed new floors, a new heating apparatus, and an extra room somewhere in the village for the overflow of students
nn. Black Boards needed to be repaired or blackened or replace with slate or composition board at most rural schools
oo. All Rural schools were in need of painting, interior renovation, fire protection, & new desks
pp. New Toilets must be constructed in 6 Rural schools
qq. In this report it is noted that 3 years prior, congested conditions were at the New Grammar School, which required the employment of an additional teacher. The Old Main Street School was repaired to accommodate this problem, the next year it became necessary to add another teacher at the Main St. School for more students. It appears necessary to add still another teacher next year and because of this we strongly urge the town to consider building a modern new school for those housed at the Main St School
rr. Schools giving reports were High School, North Grammar, South Grammar, Shawmut, Center Grammar, Center Primary, Nye's Corner, Hinkley, Covell, North Fairfield Martin Stream, Ten Lots, Larone.
ss. Lawrence high School opened in the Fairfield opera House on Sept 14, 1926 with an enrollment of 204. Intelligent test were given to every pupil, "the Lawrence Monthly" started, Edward S. Young Principal
tt. One of the prizes offered at the High School was $5.00 in gold
uu. A Chapel exercise was held everyday which consisted of 2 hymns, the Bible read and the Lord's Prayer.
vv. A Hot Lunch program was established for the pupils who stayed at school during lunch hour with the help of the Principal and the Domestic Arts Department. These were served twice a week.
ww. The following clubs are listed, The Gavel Club, Latin Club, & Commercial Club.
xx. The following recommendations were made for the following school year; Manual Training and Domestic Science be offered 2 periods per day 5 days a week. A course of Mechanical and Free Hand Drawing be added to the curriculum. That an Assistant Principal be hired to teach 4 classes and be in charge of athletics
yy. 197 pupils were enrolled at the North Grammar School with Georgia Goodspeed Principal
zz. South Grammar had an enrollment of 135 Students with Eunice Hubbard, Principal

Acceptance of Burns Street, a road leading from High Street to Savage Street and a sewer installed if road accepted was recommended at the Town Meeting.

Historical Notes of Interest of Fairfield - from mixed sources and other things worthy of noting.
  • There must have been a photography studio here in town by the Name of Barton with Initials C F B as many cabinet style photographs being sold on e-bay are being done by this Photographer 10/27/2006 BJF observation IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY PARISH Fairfield, Maine Deaths recorded in Immaculate Heart of Mary's first parish register begin on January 23, 1891 and end July 8, 1914. Essentially all those who died before 1899 listed in this register are buried at the Halde Cemetery. Those who have a "*" following their name are known to be buried at the Halde Cemetery by virtue of a gravestone located on a lot there. These are already listed in the Part I of the Halde Cemetery inventory. There likely are other persons buried here who died after 1898 listed in this parish death register but cannot be certain which ones they are because of the absence of any grave marker. These notes are from a story in the July August 1984 Issue of the Mainely Local magazine that was an Interview with Ed Shibley about Fairfield's Past by Shirley Shepherd. At 89 y.o.a. Mr Shibley talked about his childhood memories and the dirt streets of Fairfield.
  • George Small and Ans Morrill had livery stables in town. George's on the right just before the old Opera House. He let out horses, for those who wanted to go somewhere. It was called a 10-cent team, and went up to the railroad station, it brought back salesman, packages, or whoever was there and needed a ride.
  • Salesmen were called "Drummers" at that time and they would use the railroad and come with their satchels.
  • Mr. Morrill's livery stable was in back of the Gerald Hotel.
  • Ed Shibley was born in Bangor Me on April 15, 1895, lived in Waterville for a short period of time, moved to Water Street in Fairfield with his Family in 1899. His father William operated a Clothing Store on Main Street.
  • Ed remembered the Freshet (Flood) of 1903. The water was up to the Gerald Hotel (Northern Mattress) and "Hap" Savage had a picture of a man in a boat going by the Gerald. Water came up to the third floor of our house and wet the straw mattresses" said Ed.
  • Ed's Grandmother came from Syria and didn't talk English. Ed's father ran the clothing store, and he would fill up the valises, put them on a cart and she would go out and peddle the clothes.
  • Ed's Father William, built a house on Osborne Court.
  • The lower school in town use to be in back of "L'Heureux's filling station (?). The middle school grades five and six was near where the Opera House was.
  • The Opera House was the home of the Town Office, and the jail, and upstairs they had movies for 10 cents.
  • Next to the Opera House was a bowling alley, and next to that was the Middle School. Next to that was a Blacksmith Shop.
  • John Washburn took ice out of the Kennebec, and a man named Page had the place before that. Page Died and Washburn took over the business. Washburn had an engine and the men would bring the ice to the sluice, they would push the ice up and it would bring it into the ice house, sawdust or shavings was then put on the ice to keep it from sticking together and becoming one big piece. John sold ice for years all over town, with his horse and cart. Kids would run after the cart and get ice slivers. Ice would last all summer and sometimes it would have to be thrown out at the beginning of the new season.
  • The Electric Company on the Island powered the electric cars only, not homes it was called the Waterville, Fairfield, Oakland Electric Company.
  • You could travel from Fairfield to Washington D C getting on in Shawmut and changing cars through to Washington.
Old newspapers hold a wealth of information. Visit the museum and read what we have transcribed from the old newspapers.